Thursday, February 3, 2011

Black Forest Pop


I have always enjoyed the flavors of a classic black forest cake: chocolate, cream (Chantilly) and Cherries. The cherries make this dessert complete. We have taken these flavors and put all of the components (dark chocolate mousse, creme chantilly, chocolate blackout sponge cake and Amarena cherries, hands down the best preserved cherries) inside a pop mold. The mold is originally intented for frozen pops, but I don't see why it cannot be used for this purpose, which is simply a chilled dessert.

It is dipped in a "magic shell" of white chocolate combined with vegetable oil and green cocoa butter. The pop is sitting on a bed of "soil", which is a baked mixture of almond flour, cocoa powder, sugar and butter. The small plaque is a silkscreened tree we make with dark chocolate and the plaque is white chocolate.

So easy to eat as well. No fork or spoon. Liberating.

5 comments:

  1. This for the new book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food artists like yourself keep baking fun and exciting! These are so elegant and beautiful - I wish one were within reach right this second!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Francisco,
    First, I just want to say that I am absolutely blown away by your work! Your desserts are so inventive and I love how you work with line and shape in the final product. Some of your pieces almost have an architectural feel to them, which is absolutely beautiful!

    I have a question about this dessert. Specifically, about the silk-screened component. I have been wracking my brain for a while about a way to perhaps use silk-screening to print designs on rolled fondant to decorate cakes with. But, I'm a little concerned about the reagants used in the process. I'm assuming the screen you used to print from was made with a light-sensitive photographic emulsion? Do you know anything or have heard anything about whether or not this compound is safe to eat? I know the "ink" used is chocolate, but as far as I know, the emulsions used on these screens are labelled only "non-toxic", which doesn't necessarily mean safe for contact with food...or does it?

    I may be over-thinking things, but I just don't want to cause anyone to fall ill.

    Thanks for your great work! And sorry this message is so long.

    ReplyDelete