Last Updated on
During the Autumn months, organic apples are at their peak, delicious and best for eating. Most importantly, they’re fresh. Plus apples are healthy and packed with fiber (especially if you eat the peel), and Vitamin C. While the convenience of store bought apple sauce is just that, nothing beats a hefty spoonful of some you’ve made yourself. With all recipes, add your own personal touches to them, make them your own so you’re able to pass them along to future generations, even. This apple sauce is perfect for the cooler months and is sure to please everyone who eats it. Below, a scrumptious recipe for healthy apple sauce awaits you. It’s also the safer choice than conventional.
Organic applesauce ingredients:
- 2 pounds of organic apples. Mixing apple varieties will offer you new subtle applesauce flavors, so feel free to experiment with whatever apples you like and/or whichever are freshest.
- 1 organic lemon (you won’t be using the whole thing, so plan for another lemon dish as well).
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/2 cup water
To make your organic applesauce:
1. Wash, peel and core all your apples.
2. Chop apples into 8-10 chunks per apple.
3. Wash your lemon then peel two or three very thin strips of the peel using a veggie peeler.
4. Place apple chunks, lemon peel, cinnamon and water into a pot.
5. Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Reduce to simmer. Cover and allow it to cook for about a half hour, or until apples are soft enough to mash with a fork. If the mixture seems super thick as it cooks down, add a bit more water, if you like, but not too much.
6. Remove from heat, allow it to cool a little then use a spoon to get the lemon peels out.
7. You can serve this right away (warm or cool it first) and then chill or freeze any extra.
Feel free to mix in some organic berries for an added flavor combination. All you need to do is simply steam the berries until they’re very soft then mix them in during the blending stage. This is definitely the perfect apple sauce for babies if you plan on serving some to the little ones, just be sure to puree it very well. For little ones who are a little older, you can mix this in with oatmeal for breakfast. Also for babies, you can mix this into baby cereal for a heartier meal. A fun and simple way for a green family to obtain the necessary apples is to head to an organic you-pick farm or the local farmers’ market.
So, save yourself some time and money and start making your own delicious apple sauce treat. You can be sure that your family will come running when they smell the cinnamon aroma.